The National Trust for Jersey is delighted to announce that it has been bequeathed an historic farm in the Parish of St. Saviour. Located along La Grande Route de St. Martin, the farm complex has C18 origins although the two-storey three-bay farmhouse was significantly extended in 1936. The farmhouse is set back from the road with adjoining outbuildings and farmyard. There are detached single storey outbuildings at the east end of house. To the rear of these and further east, is a row of pigsties connecting to a two-storey bakehouse.
The outbuildings retain a Jersey range, brick paviours, cow byres and an apple crusher. The bakehouse retains a corbelled fireplace with bread oven. The farm complex is Listed Grade 3 in recognition of its historic character and overall integrity.
The property has been bequeathed by the late Mr. Philip Le Sueur who has requested that if possible the Trust should retain the property in perpetuity.
Mr Stewart Newton, President of The National Trust for Jersey, commented:
The National Trust for Jersey gratefully appreciates that the late Mr Le Sueur has chosen to place this very special property within our care for the benefit of the Island. Such bequests are both an enormous privilege and responsibility, and the Trust will make every effort to ensure that La Ronde Porte is put in a good state of repair as soon as funds allow.
Mr Charles Alluto, CEO of The National Trust for Jersey, stated:
It is humbling when benefactors such as Mr Le Sueur leave their family homes to the care of the Trust. Equally we have a significant challenge ahead in finding the necessary resources to repair and maintain La Ronde Porte. As ever we will work hard to deliver this objective as we have done in the recent past for similar historic buildings such as Brook Farm and Les Cotils Farm.
There will the opportunity to visit the property and interview the CEO on Tuesday 15th November at 3pm.