Major Works Planned for St Helier Marina
Publish date: 20 Aug 2021
Ports of Jersey is making further investment in its marinas with major works to refurbish St Helier Marina due to start in September 2021. The project will see the removal and replacement of the aged guide piles and pontoons that have now reached the end of their serviceable life, ensuring the marina can continue to provide a vibrant environment for local and visiting mariners for many years to come.
Up to £3.5m is being invested in the project to enhance the facilities, which has an overall completion date of May 2022 and follows the major investment into the Albert Pier.
St Helier Marina was first opened in 1981 and currently provides 60% permanent moorings (202) with the remaining 40% allocated to visitor moorings, which comprises of some 500 metres of pontoon space. This is the first major refurbishment of the marina pontoons although its tidal gate was replaced in 2017 and there have been some minor improvements over the years.
Following a tender process in 2019, Channel Islands based contractor, Geomarine, which is part of the Garenne Construction Company, has been appointed to undertake the work. The company has carried out a number of projects on behalf of Ports of Jersey in recent years, including the refurbishment of the Fishermen’s Pontoons at La Collette and are currently undertaking the refurbishment work on the Albert Pier.
In order to carry out the work, the water in St Helier Marina will be drained to a sufficient level to allow for removal of the existing pontoons and guide piles and the subsequent installation of new ones. As a result, vessels currently moored in the marina will have to be temporarily relocated to other berths, moorings or storage ashore. Ports of Jersey is currently liaising with users of St Helier Marina to discuss these alternative options.
On behalf of Ports of Jersey, the Island’s Harbour Master Captain Bill Sadler, explains, “We have consulted and engaged extensively with local boat owners, marine traders and yacht clubs who have helped us consider the options and design layouts. We welcomed their feedback and the final solution was that the existing layout of St Helier was the preferred most ergonomic option and was overwhelmingly supported by them. It’s inevitable that with such a large project there will be some disruption and impact on our boat owners in this marina, but the overall benefits once completed we believe will far outweigh this temporary disruption”.
Pedestrian access along St Helier Marina walkways will be unaffected although for safety reasons, some areas of the New North Quay, which will be the location for the works compound will be closed off at times. Access to buildings along the New North Quay will still be permitted.
CEO for Ports of Jersey, Matt Thomas, says, “The need for significant investment in St Helier Harbour has not changed, as already demonstrated by the work being carried out on the Elizabeth Marina Storm Gate and the current upgrade to the Albert Pier. The much-needed refurbishment of St Helier Marina is the next stage of our broader investment plans for the area and to support our valued marina community”.
Further information on the project is available to view online at www.ports.je which also includes a dedicated FAQ section. Regular updates and notifications will be posted throughout the project. Anyone with any questions or comments can contact the Project Team by emailing [email protected]