Passenger Arrivals in September - Headlines
The following is based on the total flow of passengers arriving, and as such includes both arriving visitors and returning residents.
- During September, there were just under 20,560 arrivals at the airport, across 14 different routes. This reflects a decrease of 75% compared to September 2019 which saw 80,990 airport arrivals across 37 different routes throughout the UK and Europe.
- The majority of air arrivals were on the Heathrow route (33% of September airport arrivals) followed by Gatwick (27% of September airport arrivals). Southampton accounted for 9% of airport arrivals during September and Liverpool accounted for 8%.
- During September, the Gatwick route experienced a decline in arrivals of 80% compared to September 2019, partly due to the fact that this route is currently only served by easyJet, with British Airways operating the Jersey route out of London Heathrow route.
- Looking at the year to date period, there have been 191,800 arrivals at the airport, which reflects a 71% decrease compared to the same period during 2019. In the first 9 months of 2019, there were arrivals from 65 different airports compared to 26 this year, reflecting the huge impact on connectivity caused by COVID-19.
- At the harbour and marina, there were 5,260 arriving passengers during September (a decrease of 85% compared to September 2019 when arrivals totalled 35,870). The vast majority of sea arrivals during September were on the Poole route (which accounted for 65% of all sea arrivals during September) followed by St Malo (22%) and Portsmouth (11%).
- The Portsmouth route experienced an increase of 94% compared to last September 2019. This is the only air or sea route to see an increase on last September (except London Heathrow which wasn’t operating in September 2019). However, looking at the year to date period, the Portsmouth route is still 43% down on the same period last year.
- Total sea arrivals for the period January – September 2020 were 36,380, a decline of 87% compared to the same period last year, which also reflects the absence of the usual Manche Iles Express services to Sark, Guernsey, Granville and Carteret.
- Looking at arrivals for both the airport and the harbour combined for the period January to September 2020, total arrivals (both visitors and returning residents) stood at 228,185, reflecting a decrease of 76% compared to the same period last year, which saw 956,870 arriving passengers.